Pictured: Jackie Reymann and Leon Steyn (TOTAL SA) receiving a global award of recognition for achievement in South Africa, for results and dedication to the Elf brand.
Elf lubricants owe their identification with excellence, performance, records and countless victories in part to their history, the story of a brand created 50 years ago.
A year after the brand’s launch in 1967, the motorsports saga began with the Matra-Elf team, which won a French Formula 3 Championship title with Henri Pescarolo.
The record-setting machine was off to the races. In 1969, Jackie Stewart took the first of his three Formula 1 world championship titles at the wheel of the Matra MS80, with the Elf logo prominently displayed.
Begun in 1968, the special partnership with Renault helped Elf take home 18 Formula 1 drivers’ and constructors’ world championship titles and grew beyond racing through a major marketing agreement to recommend Elf lubricants for Renault vehicles.
Other major partnerships have been formed since, with constructors including Kawasaki, Alpine and recently the reborn, legendary British motorcycle brand Brough Superior.
- Car engine oil
- Classic car engine oil
- Racing car engine oil
- Automatic transmission fluid ATF
- Manual transmission fluid MTF
- Car brake fluid
- Motorbike engine oil
- 2-Stroke motorcycle engine oil
- 4-Stroke motorcycle engine oil
- Transmission fluid
- For forks and shock absorbers
- Mineral coolant
Trucks and Busses
- Automatic transmissions
- Synthetic brake fluid
- High performance synthetic brake fluid
- Extreme pressure transmission lubricant
- Universak mineral lubricant for diesel engines
- Any hydraulic system
- High performance synthetic diesel engine oil
Elf Motor Oil
Motor oil or engine oil is an oil used for lubrication of various internal combustion engines. The main function is to reduce wear on moving parts; it also cleans, inhibits corrosion, improves sealing, and cools the engine by carrying heat away from moving parts.
Motor oil types / Car oil types
There are three types of engine oil/3 types of motor oil:
Oil types – Mineral oils
- They are obtained from base oils directly extracted from crude oil and then enriched with chemical additives in order to improve their overall performance.
- They are perfectly well-suited to everyday trips or journeys outside of the urban environment at reasonable speeds.
Motor types – Semi-synthetic oils
- They are a blend of mineral oils and synthetic-based oils. They are perfectly well-suited to normal usage in urban environments or high-speed driving for all types of vehicles.
- These oils are highly resistant to oxidation and can be recommended for extreme temperature conditions.
Engine oil types – Synthetic oils
- They are obtained through numerous refining processes or in laboratories using high-quality additives. Synthesizing oils in this way has many benefits: the result is a high-performance lubricant that extends the life of your engine, improves engine protection, increases the intervals between oil changes and reduces friction – thus lowering fuel consumption.
Sometimes, 4 types of car oil are mentioned: mineral, synthetic based or semi-synthetic, synthetic technology, and 100% synthetic.