It all started in 1951, when Otto Nagel, the founder of Technical Supplies Company, or TESUCO, a Bosch associated company in Johannesburg, opened a branch named Diesel-Electric in Cape Town. That name typified the company's product range and activities. Soon Diesel-Electric expanded its operations into all regions of Southern Africa, from Angola to Zambia.
However, this is only half the story, because the roots of Diesel-Electric can be traced back to 1906, when Friedrich Hoppert & Co was contracted to represent Bosch in Southern Africa. Otto Nagel who had close ties to both Hoppert and Robert Bosch, together with H. Boes and W. Weinrich, started Technical Supplies in 1946. TESUCO was granted exclusive marketing rights for Bosch products in Southern Africa in 1950. In 1983 Diesel-Electric Organization of South Africa became a wholly owned Bosch subsidiary.
Today, the Diesel-Electric Organization is a network of independently owned, Bosch contract partners and franchise holders. The Organization supplies the needs of the Southern African automotive market for components, parts, equipment and information technologies, especially to the partner workshop networks like e-Car, Bosch Services and Auto Crew, general bumper-to-bumper repair workshops and specialist repairers, garages, fleet operators, franchise dealers, as well as retail and wholesale parts stores. Diesel-Electric focuses its operations in the automotive fields of electrical, electronics, gasoline and diesel fuel injection, as well as general safety and service lines. To this end Diesel-Electric supports, distributes and represents not only Bosch Automotive Products but also a wide range of prestigious automotive component brands such as ATE, Beru, Ferodo, Gabriel, GUD, Hella, NGK, Osram, Ram, Sachs, Valvoline, VDO, Zexel and many others.
The Diesel-Electric Organization is also deeply engaged in the Bosch Diagnostics Concept. This is a modular workshop support package, comprising the supply and distribution of: